POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio v.9 : Re: Capriccio v.9 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio v.9
From: Will W
Date: 14 Apr 2003 01:26:08
Message: <3e9a4670@news.povray.org>
"Gena Obukhov" <obu### [at] mailcom> wrote in message
> > ..., and perhaps some adjusting for the contrast
> > is needed...
>
> How? Colors with assumed_gamma = 1 look washed-out.
> If there is a way to increase contrast using that value let us
> know.
>
> I usualy use default values (I guess it's 2.2). If normal value
> for assumed_gamma is 1 why it's not a default value?

Just stepping in briefly-- has everyone adjusted their monitors according to
POV's specs?

What I know from recent reading is that PCs generally need a gamma of around
2.2 while Macs generally need one of 1.6, and somehow the assumed_gamma is
supposed to even things up. I *think* that means that assumed_gamma 1 will
be right for anybody who has adjusted their monitor as suggested in the POV
docs-- http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/128/ -- section 5.2.2.2.2.2

I spent an hour or so a week ago noodling through all the POV stuff I could
find on gamma, and doing the monitor adjustment as shown above. Although I'm
running a Dell Windoze box, my best gamma setting was at 1.4 -- *way*
different from what my reading led me to expect. But then my monitor is an
add-on flat screen.

Changing my monitor settings according to the above link has made my world
brighter and more colorful. I think before a group settles on an
assumed_gamma setting, it would be good if everyone calibrated their
monitors.

--
Will Woodhull
Thornhenge, SW Oregon, USA